Vendaikkai Sambar | Okra Sambar is a usual recipe in south Indian kitchen. When it is Friday most of us just opt for sambar, poriyal and appalm. It's a popular and every day cooking recipe of Tamilnadu cuisine.
Tur Dal | Toovar Dal- 1/2 cup
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
asefoedita - 3 pinch
Okra / Vendaikkai - 1 cup
Sambar powder - 2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Mustard - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind extract - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp.
salt to taste
Red chilly - 1
Onion - 1 no.
Tomato - 1 no.
Coconut - 1/2 cup
shallot - 2
Jeera - 1 tsp
Grind the above ingredients and keep it aside.
- Wash and pressure cook tur dal along with turmeric and tomatoes.
- Once the dal it cooked mash it and keep it aside.
- Temper mustard, curry leaves, whole red chilly, asefoedita in oil.
- Add onion sauté for while and add the onion and Okra.
- Saute it in low flame until the okra gets cooked.
- Add Sambar powder and sauté well until the raw smell goes.
- Add required water and tamarind extract.
- Once it starts to boil add the mashed tur dal and salt.
- Finally add the grinded paste, check for consistency and can add water.
- Allow to boil for 5 mins and top it with fresh coriander leaves and serve.
Looking for Vendaikai Pachadi check for the recipe here
Other Sambar Varieties check this link