Guys! Planning for traditional lunch menu for upcoming Pongal Feastival?
Don't forget to add this delicious Aviyal in your list. This is a must traditional side dish in any festival or in family function meal planner. Our traditional wide spread plantain leaf feast is never complete without this Aviyal in it.
Usually in Kerala this Aviyal is made with addition of curd but in our house (South Tamil nadu) we don't add curd, as we use to add Raw Mango for the tangy taste.
This is basically a south indian side dish served as a accomplishment for Rice or Adai.
This recipe is made with mixed vegetables along with coconut paste. Vegetables which can be used in Avial are Drumstick, Raw Mango, Radish, Chow Chow, Brinjal, Carrot, Beans, Potato, Plantain, Cucumber, Ash gourd, Yam etc.,
Usually bitter vegetables or color changing vegetables are avoided in this recipe like bitter gourd and beetroots.
Coming to the recipe...
Ingredients:Mixed Vegetables - 3 Cup
Coconut - 1 Cup
Jeera - 1/2 teaspoon
Green Chilly - 2
Shallot - 6 nos.
Salt to taste.
Mustard - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 tablespoon
- Wash and Cut all the vegetables length wise.
- Grind coconut, green chilly, shallot, jeera and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook vegetable with 1/4 cup water for 1 Whistle .
- Heat a pan season it with oil , mustard and curry leaves.
- Add coconut paste saute for few seconds.
- Add the vegetables, salt to the pan and gently mix to get a coat of coconut paste.
- Allow to cook for just 5 minutes in slow flame and switch off.
- Serve it with hot Rice / Rice Noodles or with Adai.